18 July 2005

" ...even in a hell like this , God has sent yet another Angel"

From Sara of Soldiers' Angels.

Dec 18, 2003

Dear "Army Mom,"

Just wanted to take a second to tell you what happened in Iraq today. It was raining - and I was just coming in to my headquarters when when I passed by one of my newer soldiers - an immigrant from the former Soviet Union - and one of my BEST privates.

I was stopped in my tracks, for behold - on such a dreary day he was smiling. I was being funny (at first) and I said "awww you got a package with some goodies? Who sent that to you?" And as I expected to hear him say "my mom“ (or something like that) he turned his face to me and said "I don't know...." he had a smile on his face.....and as I saw his eyes glazing he said " ...that's why I was smiling" and at that my eyes began to glaze too.

I can never take for granted their service, not for one minute - not for one second. And now... even in a hell like this - God has sent yet another Angel.

I'll bet you didn't know that did you? How truly amazing - how close we come to God in such a far away place.

And how silly I am for thinking that this private's safety is for me only to keep. Seems there are many who share this burden - and make me sleep sound.

You made one of my soldiers smile today - sitting there by himself - and for that, you have touched my soul.

I'd thank you, but that's not why Angels do what they do (I know). So instead I'll just say - Well Done! You can rest easy, message received. And I'll do my best to bring them home. I owe God one ;-)

Thank you from my soul,



PS From the Fourth Army son of a mom like you no doubt.

No comments: